Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The mining industry is a vital component of Utah’s economy and has been since the earliest days of settlement. President Abraham Lincoln declared, “Utah will yet become the Treasure House of the Nation” because of its vast natural resources, and now, more than 150 years later, President Lincoln’s vision is a reality.

The mining industry is the cornerstone of Utah’s economy — it provides jobs, exports, tax revenues, energy needed for homes and businesses, and minerals and metals for the products we rely upon every day.

How do I stake a mining claim?

A mining claim is a parcel of land for which the claimant has asserted a right of possession and the right to develop and extract a discovered, valuable, mineral deposit. This right does not include exclusive surface rights (see Public Law 84-167). 

Staking a mining claim in Utah involves the following steps:

  1. Verify that the land in consideration is available to be claimed (map)
  2. Stake the claim and file with the BLM within 90 days and the County recorder within 30 days.
  3. Obtain a permit from the Division of Oil, Gas and Mining.
  4. Maintain possession of the claim.


Utah Geological Survey
Bureau of Land Management


My family member was a Utah miner. Do you have information about them?

The Utah Mining Association does not have any employment records for persons who may have been a miner in the state.

If you know the name of the company your relative may have been a miner for, contact that company directly to ask about records kept of former employees.

If they are a company that no longer exists, it is possible the company was absorbed into a merger with another company.  If you have questions regarding company/mine mergers, you may email us at 


Utah Department of  State History
Utah Division of Archives and Records Services
Western Mining History

Where can I dredge/pan for gold in Utah?

According to the Utah Geological Survey, “Regulations differ depending on which federal or state agency administers the land on which you wish to pan or dredge. These agencies have maps showing the land under their jurisdiction, and land-ownership maps for the entire state can be obtained at U.S. Bureau of Land Management offices.”

Learn More

Where can I collect landscaping rock on public land?

According to the Utah Geological Survey, “Landscaping rock or “decorative stone” can be collected from “common use areas” or “community pits” on U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public lands in various locations across the state. Common-use areas/community pits are for noncommercial or small-scale collection and require a permit.”

Learn More

What minerals are mined in Utah?

Join Us Today

Be actively involved in protecting an industry that is the
for our way of life.

Utah Mining Association

4286 South Main Street
Murray, Utah 84107
Phone: 801-364-1874

Support The Mining Industry

Your support is essential to the long-term success of the mining industry and our way of life.

Keep In Touch